Please note: this may contain book spoilers!
These will mostly be from books I listen to often, or are family favorites.
Who is a character you really like?
- Edward Pevensie. I especially like how Edward developed in the Prince Caspian movie. Trust me, there's not much else I liked about that movie, but his character was certainly a high point in my opinion.
- Mrs. Gardiner. Pride and Prejudice. I think she has got to be the best aunt character ever. Not only is she a kind character, she is very realistic in my opinion. I really liked her role, and found her character very lovable. I think it's a good thing when I find a character lovable!
- Halt. The Ranger's Apprentice Series (by John Flanagan). Old, rough, grisly, harsh, totally a softy on the inside. And sarcastic to boot!
- Isabella. Northanger Abbey (by Jane Austen). OH MY WORD. She is inconsistent, inconsiderate, and just BEYOND annoying in my opinion. I skip over her dialogue when I'm reading this book sometimes, just 'cause I can't handle it!
- Frank Churchhill. Emma (by Jane Austen). He is rude. Really rude and unthoughtful, even to the point of taking unnecessary pains to tease the girl he's engaged to. "Inconceivable!" :)
- Barat. The Brotherband Chronicles (by John Flanagan). He's really not a lead character, at all, but he's around long enough that I absolutely got to despising him. Overbearing, to say the least!
- Opal Koboi (Artemis Fowl Series by Eoin Colfer). Especially wanted to slap her in "The Time Paradox"!
- Rebecca (by Daphne De Maurier, I believe). I listened to this, and found it just strange. Somewhat like Jane Eyre, which I also thought was just a little weird!
- Jane Eyre...
- The Series of Unfortunate Events (by Lemony Snicket). My dad loved listening to these. None of them end well. I mean, he purposefully ends every book with his characters in more trouble than they started. The whole series is like that. It's not just cliff hangers, Lemony Snicket is just a little odd about his writing!
- Will and Alice. (Ranger's Apprentice) Horace and Evelyn (Ranger's Apprentice). These are coming up a lot, but my family has really enjoyed them! :)
- Amy and Laurie (Little Women). This just made me happy.
- Lydia and Mr. Wickham. I'm not saying I liked these two. Um, no far from it. BUT, my evil self says "They TOTALLY deserved each other!"
- Anne and Gilbert. It was MEANT to be!
- The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place (and I don't know the author). These were the goofiest books I've ever read. In a "What was the point of that?" kind of way. But I liked it nonetheless!
- The Willoughbys (also, don't know the author). This was another, "I have no idea why I liked that, but it was really funny" books. The story was BEYOND unrealistic, but I still liked it!
- The Fairy's Mistake (by Gail Carson Levine, I think). This was a whole series of goofy fairy tale retellings. Emphasis on goofy. But still funny!
- Hank the Cowdog (by John R. Erickson). << Family favorite audio books. Told from a dog's point of view, and completely laughable. Featuring titles like "The Wounded Buzzard on Christmas Eve" and "The Case of the Booby-Trapped Pick-Up". :)
- Anne Frank, Diary of a Young Girl. This is supposed to be a must read. I did think it gave eye-opening information into the hardships of Jewish families, BUT knowing the thoughts of a teenage girl? Nobody should have to go through that! Trust me, I know! ;)
- Where the Red Fern Grows. My mom TRICKED me into listening to this by saying, "Oh, I know you'll like it, it's all about dogs!" I was like EIGHT! I loved every minute of this wonderful story... UNTIL the dreaded last bit. I sat by the radio ('cause yes, this was back when I listened to books on the radio) and cried and cried. I've never trusted her book suggestions again. :)
- Fortunately, The Milk. Three Men in a Boat. Both books suggested by my dad. Apparently, he thought they were hilarious. But they weren't. They were actually pretty ridiculous! I'm starting to question his book suggestions, too! :)
I totally agree with you on The diary of Anne Frank. I watched where the red fern grows and cried my eyes out afterwards. I also liked the whole photo a day thing.
ReplyDeleteYou've got to give Jane Eyre a second chance! I know it's odd, and I didn't appreciate it the first time I read it either, but there are so many amazing Christian morals and lessons in there! I appreciated that a lot more when I read it for a class in college.
ReplyDeleteYes, I do hold a bit of a grudge against Jane Eyre. I think most of my dislike stems from expecting a story akin to Pride and Prejudice, and getting a story that was... darker. I'll try it again sometime and try to edit my opinion ;)
Delete