Thursday, September 26, 2013

{Family} Mom

I posted about our sports, which was mainly about my dad. Because he's a serious cheerleader. Now it's my mom's turn. She deserves several blog posts :) (I think I'll just do a post on each member of my family. I do better when I know a "theme" for my posts.)

First, my mom and I are the light and dark difference.... uh-huh. Fantastic.We miscommunicate all the time. She and Tyler have similar personalities. They are firstborns with the gifts of organizing, scheduling, and keeping things together. It is so different from my life of total chaos. But, when I was with my aunt, who is more laid back and just "go-with-it" personality, I was so confused. Turns out, when you grow up with an organizer, you learn to rely on that, and even be comfortable with it. As long as I'm not the one organizing. (insert here: a disaster)

Once, my mom told me about a nightmare she had. Basically, she was at college, and she didn't know where her classes were, when they started, or what assignments she needed to have done. That's a nightmare for her. I explained how that's just the state of life I live in :) That right there, folks, is the sum of our different personalities.

My mom and I are also different concerning hugs (I love them, she doesn't), flowers (she loves them, I can tolerate them, as long as I don't have to weed), prunes (she enjoys them, I CAN NOT stand them), and an organized  house (It really bothers my mom if the house is in shambles. It has to be REALLY messy before I notice.).

Nonetheless, there's also things we both really enjoy! Jane Austen, or other "sappy" movies :), garage saling, running shoes, clothes (more or less), and baking or not following recipes (not at the same time. That does not work out well.)

Although we are so different, over the years I have learned to appreciate my mom's personality. The way she can keep a schedule in her head, or remember her list (not only does she make a list, she follows it. I lose mine.) amazes me. God has certainly blessed me with parents that are perfect for my personality and needs!

Mom at 5 years old

Me at 5 years old
I maybe looked a little like her :) Yes, we both had dress cakes on our 5th birthdays! When I was about 4, my mom's relatives would tell how much I looked like her. But seriously, to a 4-year-old? I was smaller than her, she had curly hair and I didn't. I started crying once when someone told me I looked like her. I just thought it was ridiculous! I have learned to take that as a compliment! ;)

8 comments:

  1. Awwww, My mom is basically the same as me, but it's like that with Savanna and I:) You were soooooooooooooo Cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Savanna, different?? WHO knew?!?! ;) (<< that was sarcasm;) I love all the DeWolf personalities!!

      Delete
  2. I love your posts! I feel like I'm getting to know you and your family better, and it just makes me happy! Your family one that, the more you know, the more you love'em. Although I'm working on not hugging your mom. It's hard, because I like her, but I've been pretty good at it! :) Great post! I love your writing style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah! I have trouble not hugging my mom. (confession: sometime I do JUST because I know she doesn't like it. How rotten is that?!)

      Delete
  3. I agree with Hannah, your posts are so fun to read!!!! And I love that you're doing posts on each member of your family, I might have to steal that idea:)
    Awww, dress cakes? How cute!!!! And you both were adorable when you were five, just sayin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Go ahead and steal away! I might have to steal your "years of pictures"!!

      Delete
  4. I love the photos! I had a cake like that for my 3rd birthday. I like your two lists to show you and your mom's relationship. I look forward to reading more about your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did your mom make your cake or did you buy it that way? My little sister had a Barbie cake for her 6th b-day. My mom and I both made it together. We make all my brothers and sister birthday cakes and of course she makes mine. When its my b-day I'm not allowed to help :( I will have to share some pics of them on my blog.

    ReplyDelete