Wednesday, November 6, 2013

{Recipes} Pumpkin Snickerdoodles

Our freezers are really, REALLY full! Between garden produce, and a huge amount of beef, it is packed. So mom's been working on cleaning it out. The new motto: "Cook with what we have" :) It's amusing to unearth things from the forgotten depths of the freezer. And you know what we dug out? Pumpkin!


I loved getting to pick and choose recipes (from pinterest, of course) that I could bake with some of the pumpkin we froze last year! I found a recipe for pumpkins snickerdoodles, and tried it, but I wasn't completely pleased with the results. I had just enough thawed pumpkin to try again! The second trial even gotten positive reviews from Tyler, my most severe critic.

Although Tyler is my most severe critic, he isn't the best. Dad is the one who gives truly helpful information on what he does or doesn't like. So dad tells me what could be done to improve the taste, and mom suggests techniques that will accomplish that goal. BUT, my dad doesn't like pumpkin. I have no idea why not. So I was on my own to improve this recipe. So far they've gotten THUMBS UP!

A note:
-I used pumpkin we had cooked and frozen. Therefore, if you used canned pumpkin, (which is often thicker) you might want to decrease the flour



Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
The original idea came from The Six Sisters Blog, I adapted their recipe.

1 c. shortening
1/2 c. white sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. pumpkin puree
1 egg
4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar

SEPARATE:
1/2 c. sugar
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 400o and LIGHTLY spray a cookie sheet. Cream shortening, sugars, egg, pumpkin, and vanilla. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. Chill dough in the freezer for 10 minutes.  Meanwhile, mix the separate sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl. Once dough has chilled for 10 minutes, remove from freezer. Scoop the dough into about 1 inch diameter balls. Roll the balls in separate sugar mixture until evenly coated. Place on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Flatten the top of the dough balls if you want a flatter cookie (Like the one in the picture above). Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until the edge of the cookie is firm, and the middle is just starting to become firm. Makes about 40 large cookies.


3 comments:

  1. Oooh, these look and sound delicious! And WHAT? Your dad doesn't like pumpkin? He's even weirder than I thought! :) :) :)
    How did you adapt this recipe from the first time? And just curious, did you grow your own pumpkins?
    Great post! I hope I can bake these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW! SO strange to not like pumpkin! :)

    I reduced the baking soda from 1 tsp. to 1/2, and baking powder from 2 tsp. to 1 1/4. (I could taste it in the first batch- eww!) I doubled the cinnamon and added allspice and nutmeg (they weren't very spicy the first time), added the cream of tartar (for lightness), changed pumpkin from 3/4 to 1 c. (It's still not a STRONG pumpkin flavor, but it is there.) I used shortening instead of butter both times. (That's just because cookies I make with butter don't always turn out well. More often they "melt" and look strange.) And I switched the amounts of white sugar and brown sugar. (I think brown sugar gives a nice "round" flavor. For lack of a better word. Just more rich.). Oh, and I added the vanilla.

    Really I didn't change them much. Just made them more flavorful. They were really bland the first time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the changes you made! Shortening always works better for me, too ... I end up with flat cookies otherwise. Pumpkin, snickerdoodles, what is not to love?!

    ReplyDelete