First of all, my family is very competitive. (Tyler and Sam would be the slight exceptions. Tyler's competitive in a quiet way. Sam is competitive until she gets distracted with a butterfly, or a pretty flower.) We compete with each other on a day-to-day basis. By "day-to-day basis" I mean things like racing to see who can get in the shower first, or read the most books, etc. "Last one buckled in is a rotten egg" is something we hear a lot. Outside of our family, we are also competitive whenever we get the chance. Playing games, playing sports, pretty much any opportunity. :)
| Board games :) |
| Family volleyball tournament 2012 |
Second, my family tends to enjoy dangerous activities. (The exception here is my mom. She DOES NOT like dangerous activities.) Some of my favorites are our zipline, where you jump off a platform in a tree and ride handle bars across the creek. It's not REALLY dangerous, just sort of :) Sledding on a truck hood in our field is also fantastic. That's only really dangerous when you try things like jumping the hood over a tree that's fallen down. We used to have a a tire swing that we could drag up a ladder, then jump off. I never got the hang of it because the tire was heavy enough, it would pull me off the ladder if I went too high. Or just playing sledding demolition derby on an icy hill. The point of that game was to knock as many people off their sleds before you reached the bottom of the hill. All of the above activities are courtesy of my dad. He knows how to have fun! ;)
| Blanket swings, inside. My mom's face shows her ideas on "dangerous" activities :) |
| Hood sledding |
All-in-all, I couldn't ask for a better family. It's easy for me to forget how blessed I am by my family and their characteristics. These blog posts have been particularly helpful in making me think through what I appreciate and learn from in each family member. It's been a great exercise in thankfulness!
Proverbs 17:17
A friend loves at all times, and a brother [family] is born for a time of adversity.
Awww I'm sorry to hear you're sick, we missed you at Lighthouse!!! :D
ReplyDeleteI'm also going to miss your family posts, they've been a blast to read!! Thumbs up!
Weird sickness. I seem to be fine now! Thanks for reading and commenting, Chloe! Your sweet comments always make my day!
DeleteI'll miss these too! The hooding looks so exciting! Anyways, I like your family's competitiveness!! It's fun to watch how serious you guys get, or just to join you!
ReplyDeleteHooding IS exciting! I hope you get to try it one of these days!!
DeleteThanks for your encouraging comments Avery!!
All good things must come to an end I guess ... I'll miss these posts! Glad you are feeling better. Your family is really fun to watch because you all are so competitive! I think I'd be just as nervous as your mom in that one picture ;) but I'd love to be the kid in the blanket. Love your final thoughts and can't wait to read your next posts!
ReplyDeleteI think the McNellis family is pretty competitive, too! (AND athletic!)
DeleteI've been "in the blanket" before. It is pretty fun!
Thanks for reading and commenting on my blog, Mary Frances!