I think it's frequently called "Terrible Time Management Skills".
In my case, you can't always tell I have it. See, I can hide it pretty well sometimes. I can have completely productive days. I do all my subjects in reasonable amounts, and I'm done before two. Shucks, sometimes I'm even done before lunch.
But then...
It strikes. A hard blow. I'm left laying on the couch napping in the middle of the morning on a school day. Which, as you might guess, doesn't really get things done. (Sorry Mrs. Mann, I know I way overkill on commas!)
The cures for this malady are pretty obvious. But that does not make them easy. I SHOULD take a good dose of self discipline, diligence, and studious list-making every morning. But more often I take doses of "I'll get it done later", "I'm busy today and can't do it all", and "Don't worry, I won't forget that very important project".
My mom rocks at time management. Seriously. She's a task-oriented list-maker. She's happy when she's accomplishing things and moving through her goals. My personality is layed-back. I am actually generally just as content doing nothing as I am doing something.
So that, is my condition. Here's some things I often try to combat the spread of this disease in my life:
- List making. No, I'm not good at this. I'm bound to lose my list, or forget about it half-way through the day. However, if I can stay focused enough, it generally helps me. I do enjoy putting a little check mark by completed projects. (Who am I kidding? When I get something done, I scribble it out in pure excitement!) It also keeps me accountable. At the end of the day, I don't want to see a bunch of things left that I could have done and didn't. It really bothers my conscience.
- Time limits. Or time goals. Just time frames that I'm going to work on something. I tend to work harder and more focused when I have a time goal.
- Limited time. When I have a really busy day, I'm actually more likely to get things done, because I feel rushed. When I'm home all day, I just put things off, and put things off...
Anyone have and tried-and-true tips for time management?
Oh dear...it did it again! Why does it delete my comments as soon as I try to sign in to leave it?
ReplyDeleteAnyway...I did want to compliment you on your comma usage in that particular sentence you pointed out. It was very appropriate!
Also, I'm guessing it took your mom some time to get her time-management skills to where they are now (though I think it does come more easily to some!). I am still learning about it myself, and I do tend to find that the busier I am, the more productive I am. I like your idea for setting time limits! I haven't done that for a long time.
I will try to remember to tell you in person about something that helped me in college - a "big picture" perspective on my weekly commitments.