Wednesday, February 19, 2014

{A Few of My Favorite Things} Seasons







When you look around outside right now, you can see winter disappearing. The snow drifts are being replaced by puddles and mud. Even the wind is warmer. I'm really hoping for a few more days of good winter, just to reconcile myself to the end of cold weather. As much as I love winter, there's really something about every season that just makes me happy.


Summer...
My favorite things about summer are getting to play in water and not freeze, having long days, cool steamy mornings, and stepping into air conditioning. Swimming or playing in the lake makes me think I would really miss summer if I lived in a place that never had it. Long days and cool mornings sort of go together. Staying up late to see the slow stages of twilight is really special. It just doesn't seem as fast as early winter sunsets. I can enjoy it more in the summer, because it's late enough, I'm not trying to do anything else.

Autumn...
After winter, fall is my favorite season. Not ONLY because of volleyball :) But volleyball is definitely one upside! I like fall because it's looking forward to winter. The weather is only getting colder, snow is coming. Aside from that, fall colors are lovely. I like how wind stirs up the leaves that have fallen. There's one tree, right out our door that turns the brightest orange/red!

Spring...
Mud. Which is good. I like mud! It's fun to play in... it's fun to drag in the house (that was a joke!). Spring is when the creek by our house floods. There's nothing that is in danger from the water on our property, so floods are really just interesting. I like to see how high on trees debris can be caught. Aside from the water and mud, things starting to bloom is something I really look forward to after winter.

Winter...
Is my favorite season. It's cold, there's snow, early bedtimes, family movie nights, dad spends a lot of time at home, there's snow :), sledding, hooding, ice, being hermits, there's snow, the fireplace/woodstove are burning, and chili. I love chili. With cornbread! The best part of winter is just that my family spends more time together than other seasons.

There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under the heavens:
    a time to be born and a time to die,
    a time to plant and a time to uproot,
    a time to kill and a time to heal,
    a time to tear down and a time to build,
    a time to weep and a time to laugh,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance,
    a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
    a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
    a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away,
    a time to tear and a time to mend,
    a time to be silent and a time to speak,
    a time to love and a time to hate,
    a time for war and a time for peace.
~Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

2 comments:

  1. I especially like your last reason for loving winter. And mud! Wow. Thank you for helping me to have a new, more thankful perspective on mud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;) My mom doesn't have a great appreciation of mud (she says something about it getting tracked all over the house, and we're all mud magnets...). Maybe it's a mom thing? :)

      Delete