Wednesday, February 12, 2014

{Life and Pictures} Donuts

Me: Mom, do you have any good blog post ideas? I'm drawing a blank.
Mom: How about sledding?
Me: Yay, I suppose I could. But I don't feel very inspired to write about that... Dad, do you have any ideas?
Dad: (thinks for a few seconds) Donuts.
Me: ?? Donuts?
Dad: Yay

Okay, so that's how this all got started. My dad has some strange ideas :) I think this one was inspired by the leftover donuts from Tyler's birthday.

Donuts? Or doughnuts? Is it "do" and then "nuts", or "dough" and then "nuts"? I can't figure out which way is right! What do you use? Donuts or doughnuts?


My earliest recollection of donuts is these tie-dye, swirly, quite-ugly donuts from Dillons. They were one of those things, as a little kid, I choose Every. Single. Time. I didn't even like them! But they were bright, colorful, and stuck out to me. So every time mom bought us donuts, I wanted a tie-dye one. Do you have a similar story from your childhood?

 One thing that slightly ruins donuts for me now, is making them myself. Mom and I have done it a few times together. It's a day-long project and clean up. I really enjoy it. Choosing a recipe, mixing them up, then frying the batch. It's fun to watch how oil cooks batter. But often, after we make donuts, I loose interest in eating them. A whole day of frying donuts, then cleaning up the deep fat frying mess. Ugh. Usually, I never want to see a donut again by the time they're done. I get over it in a few days ;)
 Donut Quotations | Happiness - Quotes Photo (31056420) - Fanpop fanclubs

Plain, glazed donuts that mush into nothingness are not my favorite, no way. I would choose cookies, or muffins, or pie, or brownies over those. To me, they're just sickeningly sweet. No real flavor... mostly air. A thick, but soft, cake-y donut- now that I like! And one of my favorites? Apple fritters. They are so good! It's like soft apple pie, in your hand! There's an orchard near Topeka that has apple cider donuts that are amazing! (or, they used to. We haven't been there in awhile. Stopping to get donuts on the way to a volleyball game just hasn't happened yet. I keep hoping!)

 Doughnut
 

What are your thoughts on donuts? Cake donuts or soft yeast donuts? Chocolate or cinnamon? Apple fritters? Jelly filling or no way? Have you ever tried a bacon donut?

3 comments:

  1. Huh, I had never thought about that before... I have no clue whether it's 'doughnuts' or 'donuts'. Savanna?
    That was so sweet of you to make Tyler them, especially since they are so time-consuming! And that quote is right... doughnuts are basically the equivalent of happiness. :)
    I love your posts! they have so much variety!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't make the donuts for Tyler's bday :) They came from Paradise Donuts- which is a very cute place btw! Variety of posts=complete and total randomness!

      Delete
  2. I love cake donuts best, but my husband and I had a lot of fun making yeast donuts recently! :)

    ReplyDelete